Friday, December 17, 2021

And Off We Go!

We were supposed to leave on our new adventure Saturday, Dec 11. 

Saturday, Dec 8 my nephew Michael, who is housesitting for me, came to my house to help me put a Tonneau cover on the back of the truck. What should have taken 20 minutes was taking so much longer. He managed to put it on with no trouble, but we couldn’t get it to shut tight. After trying it different ways, it began to get dark and we quit. I tried readjusting the screws the next day and I couldn’t figure it out. My sister and brother-in-law came over and for another 2 hours we were about to throw in the towel when I saw my neighbor getting his mail and I called him over. With his fresh mind, he simply opened the tailgate and it immediately closed! Unbelievable! Something so simple was overlooked! One disaster averted…

I spent the rest of the week delivering my commissions, making canvases and packing what I needed.

Christine came to my house On Friday and we packed up our stuff…..lots of stuff!!! When we were done, I went to lock the truck and nothing happened. The battery was dead! I called AAA and they were coming at 7:30 pm. I was exhausted by this time.The serviceman told me the battery was completely deleted so he put a new one in for me. Thank God we didn’t leave before having that done! Another disaster averted.

Saturday rained all day. It was supposed to clear all day but it never did. I was hoping to leave my house around 11. I had to unwinterize the RV so I could add fresh water to it. I read the manuals and watched the tutorials on it, but our rv was just a little different. I had to call Airstream and we figured it all out. That took some time. Then I told them that I had read that the lugs on the rv have to be tightened after the first 50 miles and they agreed which meant I had to buy a lug wrench. Instead I went back to Town Fair Tire where I bought my new tires and they were great! They tightened all the lugs on the truck and rv and checked the tire pressure too! By the time we got back to my house we were so stressed. I was supposed to pick Christine up at her house by 11 so she could finish packing and could leave her car in her garage. It was already 2pm. I was supposed to boondock at my friend Claudia’s house that night but it was getting too late. We had to cancel. We decided to bring the rv to Pinehills and leave the next day. That evening We ran into Maryanne Galvin who will be doing a documentary on us and she said she would meet us at 10 to show us how to make and save files…

Sunday, Maryanne was prompt. We immediately could see that my computer wouldn’t do so we had to run to Best Buy and invest in a new computer. Thankfully we were in and out. The Christmas rush didn’t get in our way. Back at Christine’s we got our tutorial from Maryanne. Again, it was getting late fast. 3:00!! Christine quickly threw what was left to pack into the rv and we were on our way to our first stop at the Aquina’s Nest Winery in Ct. 

What was supposed to be a 3 hour ride took us 4 hours and we had to pull in in pitch dark conditions. We managed our way into the lot and tried to set up. We realized that the water latch was open so all of our water drained out while we were driving. Then we noticed that our batteries were dead. What the heck!

Thankfully the winery let us use their plug so we were ok for the night. We wouldn’t be freezing that night. We enjoyed some delicious lobster bisque, clam chowder and shrimp tacos and a flight of wines and watched the comedy show. We slept ok that night after learning what temperature we would be 





comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment