Monday, January 10, 2022

Getting over the Bridge

 Leaving St Augustine, we felt like pros packing up. We were both in good moods and were feeling hopeful. We loved Amelia Island and were looking forward to staying in a house. The RV was closing in.

The traffic was light and the scenery was gorgeous. I was thinking that the truck was running really well and was almost purring. There were a lot of bridges in Florida. Ahead was a huge bridge. Really high. It was scary to drive over it without an RV on the back. As we were climbing, the truck sounded like it was laboring. Getting loud as it struggled. Just as we made it to the top, it seemed like the engine blew. My biggest fear! The car was still on, but no power and no brakes! I was freaking out and Christine didn’t have a clue what was happening. We rolled to the bottom of the bridge and fortunately there was a shoulder we could park on but it was next to an exit and it was scary to be there.




As Christine called AAA, I sat worrying about how much this was all going to cost. AAA said they needed to send two tow trucks. One for the truck and one for the RV, then we had to find our own way home due to COVID restrictions, we weren’t allowed to drive along. Since it was a holiday and New Years weekend, therere would be a long wait. I called my sister to tell her what happened and she had a few good suggestions. One to call Sam’s RV towing. They could take both vehicles at the same time. Also, to have them both towed to the cottage. Sam’s said it would take about two hours, about the same as AAA so we canceled AAA. Sam,s also called the police for us to get a Highway Ranger to keep us safe. Well, no one was showing up. It was hot and we were very uncomfortable. We were in a terrible spot. People were heading off the exit and changed their minds crossing over three lanes to get back on the expressway. Other cars were pulling over on both sides. At one point I saw a mattress blow off someone’s roof and people were swerving all around us to avoid it. Then they went onto the expressway to collect it! Morons! They are lucky they didn’t get killed or get us killed. I called the police to report it, but they never came. I called them again to try to get us protected. They went to another stranded RV on the other side. They actually sent two rangers there while we had none! We were flabbergasted! After two hours I called Sam’s again and they told me the tow truck canceled on us!!! They never even let us know! So Sam’s ordered another one and again asked the police to assist us. Finally some Highway Rangers came. They had no idea what was wrong. They said nothing looked wrong. And because we didn’t appear to be in enough danger, they left us there!!! Another few hours went by and some Good Samaritans stopped and offered their help. They said they had seen us hours before. They offered to tow both vehicles to our cottage!!!! How nice was that? Truly nice folks! But as I was unhitching.the tow truck finally came. Only 5 hours later! We were so grateful to see him. It took about 45 minutes to reach the cottage. As he was backing in the RV, he dented it! What an awesome finish to a horrible day! Christine was beside herself… At least we liked the cottage and we looked forward to sleeping in a bed that night.

The next day I had the truck towed to Sonya’ on Amelia Island. A few people recommended them. The next day around 3 they called to tell me it was simply a fuse replacement kit and it cost $47 for the part and $250 for the labor. As ridiculous as that was I was so relieved it wasn’t the engine, I nearly skipped the 3 miles to pick it up. I was joyful! As I walked there I realized we were right next to Clinch Fort and a scene I desperately wanted to paint last year. I was one happy lady when I got back!


1 comment:

  1. A nightmare to say the least. I admire the two of you doing this adventure but oh it’s not for me. Safe travels moving forward.

    ReplyDelete