Sunday, September 16, 2018

Packing to Paint Out of the Country

I have been fortunate, especially this year, to head again to Europe. I just finished a painting trip to Ireland and now I am going back to Italy. I am taking a new group, so I decided to write this post to inform them on how I pack. So far, I have been lucky enough not to have anything confiscated! You can downsize this if necessary, but this works for me.

I begin with a bag large enough to carry my wet paint carrier. Since I use Judson Art's guerrilla box, 9 x 12, I use a wet paint carrier from them as well and put in my canvas panels. I use 1/8" Lu an wood I prime myself. It holds about 15.
(www.judsonsart.com). I can fit my laptop and a small purse in there as well and this all fits under my seat on the plane.




In my overhead bag, I put my empty guerrilla box except for my 3 canvases and my well for medium, my tripod that I unscrew at the top and a full roll of paper towel that I unroll and lay flat at the bottom. Paper towels are hard to find in Europe! I also put a few brushes. I have a little space for an extra set of clothes for those just in case moments. I also stash a lot of small plastic bags in the sleeve. These bags really come in handy in Europe where they don't like to give them away! This all weighs about 23 pounds. I have about 28 pounds for the limit.
In my checked bag, I put all of my paints, turpenoid natural (get the paperwork for this), masters brush cleaner and palette knives in a puncture proof bag. I then download the paperwork for my Oil Colors* and highlight the flash points and non toxic parts on the sheets which I get at www.dickblick.com. If I order paint from them, next to the quantity box is a paper icon. If you press that, it tells you what is in the paint. I print that and then highlight it. I also put some business cards/brochures in it so if someone sees the paint, they can see how it is used. I will put my brushes in a tube next to this sac.


Oil Paint: Rembrandt paint - Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Deep, Yellow Ochre, Viridian Green, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White, Winsor Newton Artist Series - Alizarin Crimson. If I use all Winsor Newton Artist series, I use Cadmium Red instead of the medium. 
Brushes, canvas, easel, paper towels, odorless turpentine and a mirror and anything else you may need to paint.

For clothes, I try to pack loose, light, color coordinated clothes and plan to layer. Black and white, black and tan... The weather will be cool in the mountains, so bring a sweater. I like to wear my jeans and a fleece on the plane and take a pair of black pants and a nice pair of pants, so only 2 pants in the suitcase. I like to bring lots of comfortable dull colored tee shirts that I can dress up with jewelry and sweaters. Don't wear bright colors when painting! Don't forget an apron, so you can wear descent clothes while you paint. Bring a hat too!  I usually pack too much! You can always wash something to wear twice! Make sure you bring comfortable walking shoes. I have heard not to wear sneakers in Europe, but Nikes were always popular when I have been there. I also like to bring a lightweight umbrella and/or poncho. Keep your luggage under 50 pounds! Plus, there is only so much room in your vans.

I have found a light weight backpack that fits in the palm of your hand at T J Maxx. They also have the special adapters for plugs there. Or you can carry your gear in your overhead bag.

It is always a good idea to photo copy your credit cards (both sides) and passport and keep them separate from the originals. Bring copies of any important prescriptions or medical info too. Don't bring anything that could be remotely considered a weapon.... Cigarette lighters, metal nail files, wine openers, etc... 

I like to bring about a $100 in Euros in small bills. I can get whatever else I need by using my credit card or their ATMs.

Leave your loved ones an itinerary of where you will be, your flight numbers, etc..

I hope I am not forgetting anything! Have a great trip!

* Make sure you say your supplies are OIL COLORS, not oil paint! They do not accept paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment